Flat tire – behavior when the car is damaged
If you have a screw or a nail retracted, leave the object in the tire first. Because if you leave the object stuck for the time being, the air will escape more slowly. Immediately after noticing the damage, drive to the nearest petrol station and check the tire pressure . Refill it immediately if necessary, because incorrect tire pressure has negative consequences.
- Do not rely on the often sealing effect of the metal part. Until a specialist has viewed the damage, you should not plan any further trips.
- When you have carried out the air pressure check, there is enough time to drive to the next workshop with confidence. Here you can also be told exactly whether the damage can be repaired.
Measures for major damage
If you find that there is a crack on the car tire and the air is permanently escaping, you must replace it with the spare wheel. It does not matter whether you have fitted winter tires – spare wheels are always summer tires. If you are unable to change tires, take the shortest route to your workshop. Depending on how quickly the air escapes, it is advisable to inflate the tire again if you pass a petrol station.
- The sensitivity inside of the tire can be damaged if the air pressure is too low and it would then be impossible to patch it.
- If you have a flat tire, it is best to change on the spot immediately! A flat tire can be destroyed in just a few meters, making it impossible to repair it.
- If you cannot mount a spare wheel, you only need to call for roadside assistance after you have secured the car according to the regulations.
How to patch a tire
In the event of puncture injuries of up to six millimeters, tire repair is permitted according to the StVZO. Tip: You will find the necessary accessories in a self-help workshop and receive help in an emergency.
- First of all, get a permitted repair agent in a well-stocked car accessory (mostly the raw rubber and repair plaster).
- Then remove the tire from the rim and expose the damaged area.
- Then clean the damaged area by carefully drilling it out.
- Fill the damage channel well with the raw rubber using hot or warm vulcanization (vulcanization).
- Finally, attach a patch to the inside of the tire and pull it back onto the rim.
If you mark the exact position of the rim, tires and balancing weights before dismantling, you have often saved yourself a new balancing.